Saturday 5 January 2013

My New Year's Resolutions

I love holidays. I especially love two-week holidays. And I love Christmas, where it is delightfully busy. Two days before term begins, and I'm almost through my marking (just one more set to go) and now it's just the small matter of planning which needs doing. Ah, holidays.

Right now I am full of new term/new year optimism. And so I don't forget (because we all know what the run up to Easter is like in terms of stress levels), here are my Teaching 2013 Resolutions:

1.  Keep on top of marking. This could be my every-holiday resolution. I know how important it is to mark accurately, consistently and constructively, yet it remains the thorn in my side. Maybe my resolution should be to 'enjoy marking'?!

2. Make Learning, not Work, the focus in my classroom. As tough as this is when getting coursework completed, I've got to be all about The Learning.

3. Keep up The Fun. I am guilty of becoming proper grumpy sometimes, but I shouldn't forget that laughter is such an important and underused tool in the classroom.

4. Become more Lazy. Thanks to Jim Smith (@thelazyteacher), I'm going back into term full of Lazy ideas. I've been using some for the past term, and now is the time to get even lazier.

5. Figure out what makes my classroom different, and what makes learning in my classroom a unique experience, and focus on making that more important that ever.

That's five, and I think that's enough. I could have written down dozens more (probably about questioning, objectives, networking, CPD...) but these are vague and varied enough to give me plenty to work through. And four of the above are definitely worth blogging about as they go!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment